I made a big decision a few days ago; I decided to quit smoking.
There's a few reasons why...
1) Fitness levels - I get out of breath way to easily for a formerly fit 26 year old. I can't wait to detox my lungs of all that tar! They will repair after a while; bring it on.
2) My skin - I want my skin to stay fresh and young. Inhaling harmful chemicals isn't going to help me achieve that.
3) My teeth - I want my teeth to remain white. I know this is vain but I don't care. My teeth have always been pearly white, I don't want them to turn yellow, even the thought makes me sad.
4) The smell - I'm sick of stinking my house out. After a few hours on my laptop I would have smoked quite a few cigarettes; the room smells stale and musty...this is not a good look when visitors come around.
5) The cost - After working it out 20 cigarettes a day will add up to £2,550 per year, that's a crazy sick amount of money to burn away. This total doesn't include my partners cigarettes, if I do include them add another £1,000 per year.
Here's my reasons why I would continue to smoke
1) Enjoyment - There's nothing better than sipping a hot drink, chilling on my laptop and puffing on a cigarette; now's the time to find something else to enjoy.
2) Habit - There's a list of things that a cigarette accompanied or followed. I keep forgetting that I've quit and automatically reach for one.
I know I can achieve this. I've quit once before for a whole year and a half. I started again when I went to university. I was a tad worse for wear on my first night, I had 1 cigarette and before I knew it the number kept increasing daily and I was smoking more than I ever had before.
This is day 4 smoke free which may not sound like much of an achievement but believe me I feel quite powerful right now.
I'm using patches and sucking on an inhaler a few times a day.
The cravings are very low, almost non existent actually - its just the habit I have to break.
In place of patches and the inhaler I will be giving an electronic cigarette a try, I'm thinking that a few sucks will be less mg of Nicotine that my 24 hour patches.
I'll let you know how I get on in a few days!